Sunday, August 7, 2011

August 2011: The Cycle of life, Macro... # 2

This morning I went to check the two plants I had distanced from the others, to see if the caterpillars eventually moved. The zombie stayed put. Not an inch. I guess that's why they call it a zombie.

The second one disappear, leaving my last leave on my dear eggplant plant. That's cool. Now, looking at other plants, I found to my big surprise another zombie, that I didn't see the day before... Ok, I doubt that overnight, our "fast runner" caterpillar went to another plant, got trapped by the wasp and became a zombie. And also, I found the soil a little bit raised in some spot of the soil of my eggplant plant pot. So, reading more and more, I could be possible that I am now growing two things in this pot: eggplants and a butterfly. That one has to stay over a year in the pot to become a butterfly. We have time... Can't wait to see new leaves in the eggplant plant!

The sad news now: I found mama butterfly dead on the other side of the terrace. I guess its her because only with her wings closed, she was already 7 cm long. Huge...
So I did a little scientific torture to the poor dead mother, and I promise you, I gave her back to mother nature right after. But the picture is worth it.

Her name: Hawkmoth / Manduca quinquemaculata / THE SPHINX!!!

Picture by Isabelle Duverger

No comments:

Post a Comment